happy bulldog dog showing his teeth and his tongue looking at the camera close up
images/slide1.jpg
Our Blog
Latest News

PET POISON PREVENTION

Pet-Poison-Prevention

Poisoning of family pets is one of the most common dilemmas facing the veterinarian. All too often the inciting toxin is not identified or the toxic level of the substance is undetermined.
Consequently, the treatment approach is all encompassing including intense observation and in some cases, lengthy hospitalization. Poison prevention can be a very difficult task for a busy household with young children and numerous family pets. The inquisitive nature of animals presents as prime targets to explore, which in many cases finding substances which look inviting. In many cases, these substances can be deadly. The old adage “oust of sight, out of mind” does not apply due to the keen sense of smell and the impulse to explore. At last, the attempt to prevent exposure is only as good as the ability to
keep toxins out of reach.


There are several hundred thousand potential toxic substances in the environment therefore it is not possible to be knowledgeable of all the toxicities. The good news is that there are poison control centers located throughout the U.S. and Canada to provide readily available information. These centers
aid physicians, veterinarians, and others in health fields to offer insights on specific poisons and treatment protocols. These resources can be helpful when faced with rodenticides/insecticides, and other lesser known toxins such as grapes, artificial sweeteners, household plants, human medications,
etc.


A suspected poisoned animal is a medical emergency and one must err on the side of caution even if there is no definitive proof that the animal has been involved in a poisonous incident. Certainly intense investigation of the environment and status of the animal is paramount in attempting to establish suspected toxins and treatment protocols.

As a general rule, emergency first aid is suggested for the owner as follows: 

  1. Induce vomiting using hydrogen peroxide and saving the vomitus for future evaluation. However, if the toxic material is known to be a corrosive substance, vomiting should not be induced. In these instances, oral dilution of the toxin is also important with milk or water.
  2. If the animal was in physical contact with the toxin, the skin should be profused with water.
  3. If hyperactivity or convulsions are noted, attempt to protect the animal from self-injury.
  4. Seek veterinary help without delay, bringing samples of the suspected toxin as well as vomitus retrieved.

Please contact us today if you have any questions and for more information.

 

 

×
Stay Informed

When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.

GRAIN FREE DIETS
THE INS & OUTS OF DENTAL HEALTH FOR YOUR PET

Have Any Questions?

Healthy pets are happy pets, trust their paws to our caring hands!

Hours

Mon-Fri: 7am - 7pm
Saturday: 9am - 4pm
Sunday: 1pm - 6pm
Check out our holiday hours here.

Follow Us

Publish modules to the "offcanvas" position.