GIVING A PET AS A GIFT
Giving a Pet as a Holiday gift
Often I am asked if it is a good idea to surprise a friend or family member with a pet for the holidays! As we know pet ownership is a relationship that should be for the life of the pet, barring serious circumstances. In addition, the person receiving the pet should probably be aware of such a gift. I have gifted many pets for people who were looking and asked me to help find them a furr-ever friend. I have also made the mistake of finding a pet for a friend who really wasn’t ready though they had expressed interest many times for a ‘black lab puppy’. As it turns out, such a pup fell into my lap and I took the puppy without confirming my friend still wanted a puppy. Needless, to say, I had a new black lab puppy to care for!
Which brings me to my answer to, “should I get someone a pet as a holiday gift?” Keep in mind a few things:
- Holidays are stressful and full of activity. Will this person be able to commit to caring for this pet
during this time?
- The age of the pet matters, is a young pet better or one that is older, settled, house trained etc.
- What type of pet matters, do they want a dog or cat or bird or? Male or female? Getting someone a dog when they wanted a cat or vis versa may make the event awkward.
- Give a bundle of supplies as well, the whole ‘kitten and kaboodle’. Leashes, litter pans, litter, food, bowls to help get them started as the holidays may make it hard to get these items on short notice. Giving someone a sweet bundle with no provisions will make the day less joyful.
- Lastly, give them an ‘out’ if it doesn’t work well. Would you take the pet in or help re-home if needed?
Thus, my answer is, “maybe” after you have gone through all of the criteria above. At any rate, if a pet is given as a gift and it does work out, what a great gift to give!
Please contact us today if you have any questions and for more information.
When you subscribe to the blog, we will send you an e-mail when there are new updates on the site so you wouldn't miss them.